Monday, March 21, 2011

Knee Surgery

After dealing with a painful left knee since 2006, from a repetative running injury, I finally had surgery this morning out in Banff.  Dr. Hiemstra did a left knee arthroscopy and debridement of my patella which sounds worse than it actually was.  I arrived at the hospital at 9:00am and was discharged at 11:15am.  The surgery itself was only 10 minutes long and I was able to watch the procedure on the screen that they had beside me.  It was really neat to see the inside of my knee and thankfully other than having a nasty kneecap, the rest of my knee is perfectly healthy.  I have a crack on the inside of my kneecap and had a lot of rough cartilege which was able to be shaved off and the doctor is pretty confident that this will help with the pain and cracking that I have been dealing with.  Now I just have to be a good patient and rest and allow my knee to heal properly.  I have this week off work, so I will be doing a lot of sitting around with ice packs and meds, and I am planning to start physio next week.  The full recovery time is between 4 and 6 weeks, which is just in time for one last Canadian rock climbing season!

Cheers to a good recovery!

Kerri

No comments: